Wednesday, October 26, 2011

What I've Learned So Far

1.  Since starting my Senior Project, something I've learned how to do better is looking for research.  Usually, I would search for specific keywords or terms and get discouraged when I couldn't find much.  Now, I've realized that these books or other resources I search for don't necessarily have to be titled "Criminology: 101" or anything obvious.  In other words, I've leaned to start with a broad, general search, and whittle the information down until I find what I'm looking for. 

2.

 3.  This book "Why They Kill:  The Discoveries of a Maverick Criminologist" by Richard Rhodes is one of the resources I've found using this research method.  When I went to the library, I asked for books on Criminology and Crime.  I was directed towards books like "Criminology for Dummies" and law encyclopedias.  This wasn't exactly what I was looking for.  I wanted theories in criminology, not "what is criminology".  Seeing how a broad search didnt work, I decided to search for bits and pieces of what I was looking for.  I looked for books on "theories of deviance", but that didn't help much.  Then, I started searching for "serial killers" and "crime psychology".  That was it!  I was able to find a book that wasn't exactly what I came in for, but helpfull nonetheless.

No comments:

Post a Comment